Spilled coffee on your light-colored carpet? And you’re not sure how to get the stains out? Well, there’s a simple (and cheap) solution that is often overlooked: shaving foam. That’s right, the same stuff you use to shave your face can also be used to clean your carpets. But how does it work? Let’s take a closer look.
Is shaving foam good for cleaning carpets?
The science behind why shaving foam works so well on carpets is actually pretty simple. When you spill something on your carpet, the liquid soaks into the fibers of the carpet, leaving a stain.
Shaving foam is a great way to remove tough stains. The lather in shaving foam works by penetrating the stain, lifting the liquid up and away from the carpet fibers, and taking the stain with it. Plus, it’s gentle enough that it won’t damage your carpet or leave behind any harmful chemicals.
Not only does shaving foam work on grease stains, but a wide variety of other stain types as well, including wine, coffee, and even ink.
How to Clean Your Carpet with Shaving Foam
If you’ve spilled something on your carpet and want to get the stains out, follow the instructions below to use shaving foam to clean your carpet.
1. To start, take a paper towel or cloth and blot up any excess liquid from the stain. In order to soak up as much of the liquid as possible, use several sheets of paper towels. Keep in mind that if you rub or agitate the stain with a dry cloth, it will only make matters worse by causing the stain to set into the carpet fibers.
2. Blot the spill with a sponge soaked in warm water, squeezing out any extra water before using. If you press too hard on the sponge while doing this, though, the moisture will just push the spill further down into your carpet.
3. Next, spray a generous amount of shaving foam directly onto the stained area. Most people use too little shaving foam, so be sure to apply as much as you can.
The shaving foam creates a lather that penetrates the stain and softens it with moisture. Make sure to let the foam sit on the spill for approximately 30 minutes to allow it to work its magic.
4. Leave the foam on the stain for 30 minutes, then blot it with a wet sponge. After that, use a dry cloth to pet it dry or scrub if the stain is tough to get out. Repeat this process as needed until the stain is completely gone.
5. Finally, vacuum over the area to restore its original fluffy texture and voila—your carpet is as good as new.
Once you’ve removed the stain, be sure to take extra care to clean your carpet regularly going forward. This will help prevent future spills from staining your carpets, and it can also help extend their life. It is important to be aware that the longer a stain sits on your carpet, the tougher it will be to remove.
Some stains (coffee and wine) may need multiple treatments before they’re totally gone, while others (dirt) usually disappear after one round of shaving foam treatment followed by vacuuming.
However, if you choose to clean your carpets, be sure to use a gentle and safe cleaning method like shaving foam to keep your carpets looking their best.
And last but not least – if you’re ever in doubt about whether or not shaving foam is safe for your particular type of carpet, always err on the side of caution and test it out in an inconspicuous spot first before treating the entire stain.
Carpets are an important part of any home, and keeping them clean can be a challenge – but it doesn’t have to be With a little bit of shaving foam, you can easily remove small stains from your carpets without resorting to harsh chemicals.
So next time you’re looking for a quick and easy way to spot-clean your carpets, reach for the shaving foam and get to work. You’ll be amazed at how effective it can be in removing tough stains.
Not only is it effective, but it’s gentle and safe for all types of carpets and stain types.